Feb 20, 2011

Chapter Seventeen

Chapter 17

Heat of the Moment

Heiji's POV

"I don't care if it blows up, I'm going now!" I screamed, full of fury. Who was this little girl to tell me not to go? It was my duty as a detective to find clues to solve the murder.

"Wait, Heiji!" I heard Kazuha say behind me. I ran out the door, and slammed it shut behind me. She didn't have to come with me, if there was danger, I didn't want her to come with me.

I heard the door opened again, and her footsteps chasing me. "Don't follow me, Kazuha! I'm the only one who's going put myself in danger!" Like she ever listened when I said something like that.

"I'm not letting you go, Heiji!" she yelled, as she started to trail behind. I was much faster than her. "Please, Heiji, come back!" I didn't listen to her. I only wanted to know the fastest way to the drug company the girl Miyano Shiho had talked about. She had taken the bus, but was that truly the fastest way?

"Taxi!" I waved my hand in front of a bright yellow car, and it stopped for me. "I want to get to this drug company. Quickly please." I handed him 5000 yen and he sped off, faster than the speed limit. Kazuha would have no chance of catching up now.

Within minutes, I was at the factory. It looked menacing to me, since I knew what was about to happen. I charged into the front lobby, it looked like nobody was aware of the bombs that could be about to explode. "This place is going to explode," I told the guy in the front desk. "Evacuate everybody now!" I could hear an invisible timer in my head, counting off the little time that was left. Tick, tock, tick tock…

He took a couple of seconds to process it, and then laughed in my face. "Listen kid, I don't have time for stupid jokes on this job, so if you would just leave the building…"

"I'm not kidding!" The adrenaline was getting to me, and my self-control reached its limit. I shook the man and tried to get some sense in him. "This place is going to blow up. They're going to get rid of the evidence!"

"Security!" he yelled, trying to get me off. The guards came and pried me off of him.

"Get out of here, kid." They threw me out of the building. "And don't come back."

"Dammit," I cursed through my teeth. I had to tell them, or hundreds of people would die.

"Heiji!" Kazuha was running towards me. She had come too.

"I thought I told you not to come you idiot! This place could explode at any second and yet you-"

"The same goes for you, Heiji! How could you throw yourself into danger like this? You could get yourself killed! Think about how people were affected when Kudo-kun died. Do you want that to happen to your parents? To me?"

To her? What was she talking about. Her face was shaded a deep red, and I realized what she meant. She was like Ran; she didn't want to lose the guy she liked. "Kazuha, you…" She grabbed me and hugged me.

What happened next was completely unexpected. She kissed me, and I kissed her back. I grabbed her tighter, and it was just us. Nothing had ever felt so perfect.

Then, the world exploded around us, and I was knocked to ground. The air felt like it was on fire, and I was burning. Time stretched into eternity, and I fell unconscious, still grabbing onto Kazuha's hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

follow bluebelugatales on twitter